Sunday, March 16, 2008

EXHIBIT AT HOME

Many of my friends and acquaintances have expressed regret for not being able to see my recent exhibit at the Eccles Art Center in Ogden. There were many reasons – bad weather, a long tedious drive, and scheduling conflicts. So I am having an open house exhibit for two nights at my home on Friday March 28 and Saturday March 29. You can come any time during the day or evening up to 10:00 PM. The address is: 1087 South 1100 East, SLC.

Of course, I don't have as much room for display as the Eccles Center, which showed over 100 of my framed prints, but I will have some of the best prints from the exhibit and some new ones scattered throughout my home.

I feel that my mixed-media approach to photography using digital enhancement techniques can add vitality and color to my images. Mixed-media photographs have the inherent ability to express colorful emotions coupled with a sense of intellectual reality that is a part of every photograph. This advantage of believability can make an Impressionist photograph seem more “real” than a painting, while at the same time, lift the veil of reality to reveal the inner excitement of imagination.

To strengthen the emotional impression of my images, I simplify the design and image elements by eliminating extraneous detail and smoothing out the tones of color and increasing or decreasing hue intensity and color saturation. The result has the appearance of a painting but the feeling of reflected reality. I like to say that my prints are not really photographs or paintings; they are something in between or something all together different. If anyone would like to see my images, look at http://www.donthorpe.com/

No comments: