Tuesday, May 5, 2009

HALOWEEN SURPRISE

We had an unusual Halloween surprise last year. But I forgot to add it to this blog. So here is a re-cap. After a night of unbearable pain the day before Halloween, which we thought was acid-reflux; My wife drove me to InstaCare in Sugarhouse to get some relief. However, within minutes I was aboard an ambulance with sirens screaming headed for the University Hospital with a full-blown diagnosed heart-attack. The University Hospital staff wasted no time, and that evening I had an artery stent in place and was joking with the hospital staff. "Trick or Treat" in that setting had a whole new meaning. I wondered, as I lay in bed in the ICU, since artists' works usually increase in value after they are dead, how might a near-death experience influence the value of my photographs? Fortunately, my heart sustained only minor injury – which was a miracle given the circumstances – and I was reassured that there will be full recovery. In fact, I was told that I will probably be healthier than before, because I will be forced to change my life-style – more exercise, fat-free food, etc. This has been and will be a life changing experience for all of my family, as we change our diet, physical activities and attitude about life. But I seem to be doing very well, and I am almost my usual self again with, of course, a much different outlook on the fragility and mortality of life. We thank God for His obvious help and for the prayers, visits and kindness of all our friends and family during a trying experience. Needless to say, it was the scariest Halloween in our memories.

No comments: